Learning by Doing
Here you can find a compilation of resources for anyone with an interest in new media.
If you have feedback or would like to contribute with your own recommendations, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
“Culture arises and unfolds in and as play.”
- Homo Ludens - The Element of Play in Culture by Johan Huizinga (1938)
- Manufacturing Consent - The Political Economy of the Mass Media by Edward S. Herman & Noam Chomsky (1988)
- Flow by Mihaly Csikezentmihalyi (1990)
- The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer (2007)
- Tribes by Seth Godin (2008)
- The Art of Game Design - A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell (2008)
- Play by Stuart Brown & Christopher Vaughan (2009)
- RSA ANIMATE: Changing Education Paradigms - Narration by Ken Robinson, world-renowned education and creativity expert.
- Critical Path Project - Video interview archive with various luminaries from the games industry.
- us and the game industry (2012) - Trailer for film about game designers exploring emotional and psychological themes.
- Kurzgesagt: Addiction NEW - Animated short looking at the real causes of addiction, examining the human need to connect with ourselves and others.
- Stuart Brown: Play is more than fun - TED talk that examines what role play has in our self-development.
Psychology & Games
- The Benefits of Playing Video Games - American Psychologist, December 2, 2013 - One of the first serious academic publications recognizing the psychological benefits of video games.
- Play is Evolutionarily and Developmentally Important, June 5, 2013 - Blog post by Isabela Granic
- Psychiatry Advisor: The Role of Video Games and Virtual Reality in Psychiatric Treatment, April 8, 2015 - David A. Baron
Organizations & Institutes
- National Institute for Play - Non-profit founded by Stuart Brown, that aims to unlock human potential through play, in all stages of life.
- theplayniceinstitute - Organization founded by Isabela Granic that focuses on developing games to help promote emotional resillience in children.
- International Game Developers Association (IGDA) - Global non-profit organization serving anyone who create games - from students to professionals.
- GAME Bundesverband e.V. - German games industry association with over 100 members. Works actively for equal recognition with other art forms. Member of the German Cultural Council.
- medienboard Berlin-Brandenberg - Organization that provides state-funding to Berlin-based media projects. In recent years with an increasing investment into games and apps.
- Video Games: An Hour A Day Is Key To Success In Life - Blog post from Jane McGonigal (2011)
- newzoo - Games market research, analysis and predictions.
- Berlin Games Industry: Google Maps - Physical locations in a map compiled by Dennis Schütte.
- 030 Datenrettung - Data recovery service based in Berlin.